Friday, January 4, 2008

Take Five

1. If Iowa is indicative, what I've long feared has finally happened: the average Democratic presidential primary/caucus voter is now more politically sophisticated than the average Republican presidential voter. I hope this is just a blip; what we need is a market correction.New Hampshire cannot come soon enough. Five days and counting.

2. Congratulations to Barack Obama. I seriously doubt I would vote for him in November, should that opportunity come to pass (though this would of course depend on the competition), but I think we could do a hell of a lot worse than Barack Obama, and anyone willing to stand up to (and beat, even if temporarily) the Clinton Mafia deserves serious plaudits. And, yes, I was wrong with my prediction back in January 2007: he's viable.

3. I was also wrong regarding John Edwards. He's still hanging around. Only God knows why. I sill doubt he'll make it much past the Southern swing, especially now that Obama has proven himself, which should make him (Obama) more attractive to previously tentative African-American voters.

4. I will change my template from black to some other, happier, more vibrant color if Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney collapse and the Thompson-McCain coaltion/wing of the GOP fills the void.

5. Jack Shafer takes it to whiny lefties who think the New York Times Op-Ed page is somehow their personal ideological playground.