Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Take Five

1. I've been busy. And ill. So sue me.

2. Sullivan's obit on Fred:

I have to say I grew fonder of Thompson as the campaign dragged on. I guess I liked his ambivalence toward power: it's a small-c conservative trait that today's Republicans don't seem to have. And that remains part of their problem.


3. Internets scavenger hunt: find somebody somewhere who finds a way to tie Heath Ledger's apparently self-inflicted early demise to the fact that he starred as a homosexual cowboy in Brokeback Mountain. I'm not saying for sure that this exists on the tubes, but I wouldn't be surprised either.

4. I wish Sarcastro would just go ahead and call November's election so we can just get it over with now.

5. More on Fred:

Last night I talked with Cyndi Mosteller, a strong social conservative who headed the Charleston County Republican Party from 2003 to 2007 and who supports McCain. When I asked about Thompson, she said. "He was the most anticipated candidate that I have ever seen. So many people on the ground were ready to run the ball for him, and they showed up in strength, but he didn't really show up in strength. I think that probably Thompson is more of a private person. I don't really think he's cut out for the public run required of public office. I think it's almost a personality thing; it's certainly not an ideological thing. It's like the public energy and the will to run are a little bit lacking there." Talk to other South Carolina conservatives, no matter who they supported, and you'll hear similar opinions. Thompson had a huge opportunity here.


Via Kaus.